Church of the Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God was built upon E. Sokolov’sproject in the 18th century. During the Soviet period, the church was closed and almost completely destroyed.
The restoration works, that began in 2013, were aimed at the revival of theparish. In the same period, the church was granted the status of a cultural heritage property.
The preservation of the existing construction structures and restoration ofthe interior upon the historical documents were the key tasks in the courseof the work.
The restoration and adaptation works were carried out according to theproject documentation that included:
- structural survey;
- engineer and geological investigation;
- project on the top-priority emergency prevention measures;
- project design and construction design documents for the modern use of the church and its garden;
- field supervision for the entire construction period.
The following works were carried out within the scope of the project:
- restoration and reconstruction of the bearing enclosure structures, arches, vaults, and floors;
- injection of the brickwork of the remaining walls;
- reconstruction of the bell tower, restoration of the central and small domes, the Northern and the Southern porticoes;
- installation of the windows and front doors;
- restoration and reconstruction of the stone and plaster decorations including limestone pedestals;
- construction of the utility building and a temporary heating system;
- waterproofing of the basement walls and the re-created staircase;
- installation of the floor pie for stone and parquet covering;
- restoring and re-creation of the floor covering, stone and parquet stairs, decorative layers of the walls, columns, and vaults;
- the complete set of works on the assembling the utility systems;
- installation of the cast-in-situ structures of the dry areas and floor ducts, walls and foundation waterproofing (including blind areas);
- restoring and re-creation of the porches and covering plates;
- restoration of the window and door openings including windowsill stone boards and forged grating that were lost;
- restoration of the metal (iron, as-cast) porch and solea balustrades;
- caisson type waterproofing in the basement;
- restoration of the foundations, pedestal, and metal garden fencing;
- restoration and re-creation of the pavilions in the main entrance area;
- landscaping of the adjacent area;
Customer: Charity Foundation “Rebirth for Church of the Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God”